Followers

Monday, March 15

The Kiwanis Music Festival




A few days ago I had the EXTREME pleasure(not) of participating in the Kiwanis Music Festival. For all you unknow-it-alls who don't know what that is, I'm not explaining. Let it suffice to say that it is nerve laceration to the nth degree. However, I was determined to see it through with style and panache.

As my mother and I drove up to the tallest building on the Sait campus(the directions given us by the incompetent women working for the Kiwanis), searching for a parking place that wouldn't cost a small fortune, my heart beat accelerated till I felt sure that it would pop out of my mouth. Either that or all my blood vessels would burst. Getting out of the car my hair was whipped around and my skirt sent flying by the icy wind and I cursed Calgary for the hundredth time. Of course, parking cost a fortune in small change, most of which I provided. And I was hyperventilating.

After extensive searching, we found the entrance and made our way to the 22nd floor lounge. Stepping into the silent room, I could almost smell the fear. Ten children most probably pushed into this by pushy parents (not you mom). We sat down in the back, the better to view the competition. All in all I was ready to jump out the window. The only thing holding me back was the thought that deep down I really wanted to go up their and play that grand piano. I wanted to harrow some soul.

And so my turn came. All I remember is the uncontrollable shaking of my pedal foot and the thought that I could NOT mess up. The rest is just so much blurry imagery. My mom says I did a great job. I'll take her word for it.

I didn't win anything. Apparently I wasn't playing emotionally enough. But all's well that ends well (Shakespeare), until next year when I really WILL have a heart attack.

4 comments:

  1. I competed in the High River Music Festival two years ago. I know the feeling. I got gold stars, but didn't win an award or anything. I vowed never to do it again, I don't care if I became a discovered star. It's agonizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you bother to come on here missy, go to this link! I tagged you!

    http://beautifullyfeminine.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-very-own-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I competed in the Kawanis Music Festival this year!

    P.s
    I tagged you

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! (what did you tag me about?)

    ReplyDelete